Monday, March 3, 2014

Furoshiki: no sew bags and packaging


image: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/43287/43287-h/43287-h.htm

I came across furoshiki while I was in Japan, but it wasn't until recently that I got how nifty they actually are.  One piece of cloth has many uses.  Just like other technologies, if we are not in the right place mentally to think about how we can use them, we tend to ignore them and go on as usual.

Furo shiki = bathing cloth.  The Japanese used to put their bathing essentials into the square and tie them into a bag.



I have several gorgeous muslin wraps that were given to us when our daughter was born.  They were great to swaddle our daughter in over summer.  However, more recently they were used mainly as a change table cover.

Furoshiki changed all that.  Examples of use so far:

  • bundle up blocks or small toys - the bag doubles as a play mat
  • bundle food for a picnic - again, picnic rug is built in!
  • separate clothes when travelling- clean/dirty clothes or mum's/daughter's clothes
A link to the best instruction website I have found is below.  I have made the bags and the bottle holder.  I wrapped up a bottle of drink and slung it on the handlebar of my bike when I was going out for dinner recently (It was a short trip and a plastic bottle- a bit of care needed!!).  It is quite fun - origami with material!  Grab a square of cloth and fold along.


furoshiki folding techniques

Next I would like to use furoshiki for gift giving, however I am chotto confused about who keeps the furoshiki.  I would love someone to fill me in!!

No comments:

Post a Comment